ArkivDigital for free March 17-18, 2012
Genealogy Day in Sweden is the third Saturday in March. This year's theme "Family History, then, now and in the future." Genealogical research with ArkivDigital, we regard as "now and in the future."
We hope that you will celebrate this day with us at the ArkivDigital by using our extensive archives without obligations or fees - all in color! ArkivDigital is one of the largest digital archives in Sweden and right now we have close to 34 million images in over 138 000 volumes online. Associations, libraries and archives in Sweden, have exhibitions and seminars on coming Saturday. Celebrate your Swedish ancestors by visiting the ArkivDigital and search for your Swedish family, free of charge, this weekend.
Free Swedish Genealogy research with ArkivDigital this weekend
During this weekend (Saturday March 17th until Sunday March 18th 2012) we offer everyone free access to our image database. Take this opportunity to familiarize yourself with ArkivDigital and what we have to offer.
Special price on “1 Year” subscription
ArkivDigital 1 year subscription for only 995 SEK, approx. 146 USD (regular price is 1195 SEK, approx. 175 USD). This is a great opportunity to subscribe to ArkivDigital for a low price and it can be purchased between March 15th and April 1st 2012.
To gain access to ArkivDigital free over the weekend 17th to 18th March 2012 you have to do a few things. It is not difficult; just follow the steps below carefully.
- Register with us
- If you have already registered then proceed to paragraph 2.
- If you are not registered with us previously, you will have to do the following; Go to: http://www.arkivdigital.net/users/register and fill in the information requested. Be especially careful to write the correct email address and password you choose. The password must consist of at least 6 characters and/or numbers.
- Install the software ADOnLine2, http://www.arkivdigital.net/products/adonline/installation. If you do not have the latest version we advise you to install it. The latest version is called 1.4.2 (rev 610). You can see which version you have if you press the Help menu and then click About in the program.
- During the installation you will be asked some questions. You must respond to them "in a positive way" and when installation is complete, you will have an icon on your desktop called “ADOnLine2”.
- Double-click the icon to start the program.
- Now the login box appears. Fill in your login information (email address and password). Be sure to enter them exactly as you did when you registered - there is an important distinction between uppercase and lowercase letters. If you get an error message regarding your email address, something is not correctly entered. Click to close the error messages and then open the log in box from the File (sv: Arkiv) menu and “Login”. Now the login box appears again. Erase all information and fill in your details again.
- Start researching.
- Once you have logged in the program opens and you can start researching immediately.
- To the left you will find a list of archives. Find "your" church/archive in the list or type it directly into the search box above – the list will be filtered according to what you type. Then click on the name of the Church (parish) in the list to select.
- To the right you will find a list of volumes from your chosen parish. Look for the volume you wish to open in the list and double click it with left mouse button to open the volume.
- When the volume is opened: To browse in the volume, use the buttons -5, -1, +1 and +5 or make a specific choice in the drop-down-list between the -1 and +1-buttons
- On the installation page you will also find a guide to the program: http://www.arkivdigital.net/download/images/manual_eng/1043/Instruktion_2011-03-10-Eng.pdf
If you would like to try our new Beta-version of ADOnline, you will be able to switch to English language.
- If you are not registered with us previously, you'll need to register at: http://www.arkivdigital.net/users/register
Once you have registered, please follow the instructions below!
- If you are already registered, please log on to our website: http://www.arkivdigital.net and order your subscription by adding your subscription in the shopping basket. Go to checkout and follow the instructions there.
Note: If you have an ongoing subscription and order a new one before your current subscription has expired, your new subscription will be put on hold until your current subscription has expired.
Frequently asked questions
- Of course, we extend all current subscriptions with 2 days because of the two days free of charge (March 17th-18th 2012).
- If you have any problems with the program and want help: Please try to explain as much as you can about what happends, what program version you use, what you did when it happend etc. Are there any error messages and what do they say? The more you can tell us, the easier it is for us to respond quickly to you. Use: email@example.com
- If you have ”Logga in automatiskt” (Login automatically) checked and you get an error message saying “Okänd emailadress eller lösenord” (wrong e-mail address or password), click to delete the error messages and then open the login box again through File (sv: Arkiv) menu and then click “Log In”. Now the login box appears again. Erase all information and enter your details again.
When you start doing your family history, you usually use church records first to build the foundation of your family tree. However, the longer you are researching, the more you want to know about your ancestors, where they lived, how big was their farm or, for example, if they quarreled with their neighbors! If you read other types of documents, you can get answers to these and many other questions. With ArkivDigital you can find many other types of documents than just the parish registers. If you need an easy way to get an overview of what's available, look at our product table (only in Swedish at the moment), but even this does not cover everything. The best thing you can do as a genealogist is to pick a random book, you do not know what it contains and if you're lucky you'll find the puzzle piece that you been looking for.
Take the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the ArkivDigital and all of our volumes this weekend.
Have a great weekend and hope that you find new information